Monday, March 28, 2011

House Plants

I've been on an indoor plant kick lately. Our house isn't dark, but it isn't light-filled either. The major windows in our home face directly east or directly west, so I've been huddling pots around a couple of these bigger windows. I know my husband thinks it's cluttered looking, but he hasn't said anything yet. Still, once you commit to a house plant--that is, take it home and put it in your own pot--you want it to succeed. When you don't have a lot of bright windows, grouping all the plants you can fit on one little side table by your couch may be your best option.

I took the above photo this evening. It is not an example of the aforementioned plant cluster. This plant supposedly prefers low light, so it's been relegated to a lesser lit room. As I took this photo in the semi-dark of an east-facing room at dusk, I had to hold as still as possible to get this sort-of in focus image. As I held my breath (to keep from moving) I could hear my children in the next room "falling" asleep: the little one telling a story to herself, talking too loudly for the older one, who came out to tell me so. She crept out of her room just as I was done shooting this. I was about to step out into the hallway when she walked by. I think it startled her a bit when she noticed me. She didn't expect her mother to be lurking in a dark playroom with a camera. Ah well, I suppose it's best to keep my kids on their toes. You can never know what to expect when your mom is trying to be an artist.

No comments: