Monday, April 29, 2013

Trying, but slowly

Did you know I am trying to create a Japanese garden in Sacramento? Most of you do. Besides my never, never ending alphabet book, (which I referred to back in March of last year...already that long ago?! I am now on J, a year later) the other creative endeavor I spend my time on is the Japanese garden. At the moment, it's not creative. It's oppressive. Nevertheless, it needs to be done. Well, it doesn't need to be done, but I would really like it to be done.

All along, I have been arguing for a Japanese garden to be built because I thought we could use that specific type of beauty here. Last week, I was fortunate to meet with an official of the Asian Community Center here in Sacramento. It was a very constructive and encouraging meeting. As I talked with her, I was reminded of another reason I would like to establish the garden. Talk of Asian-American history and culture fires me up!

It all began when I first learned that my dad was born in an internment camp during WWII. Then I read the memoir Farewell to Manzanar, by Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston and James D. Houston, in eighth grade and that solidified my interests. I wish I could say that I had some Irish-American equivalent in my life, if only so my mother didn't feel like I was neglecting the other half of me. (My daughter said to me the other day, "You're white, right?" Perhaps that's why I don't have an Irish equivalent. That side of me is already writ large on my face.)

It was rejuvenating to be reminded of that motivation. I had already been planning on a well appointed facility for classes, talks and cultural understanding. I had forgotten why, until my meeting. I was getting bogged down in the drudgery of incorporating a nonprofit. I am buoyed again by the vision of a meeting place, an especially lovely meeting place, for all sorts of people to get fired up along with me.

No comments: