Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Summer Time

As it does, summer has brought with it a change of schedule. I didn't really see it coming. I thought summer vacation was a thing for parents with older children who needed a break from homework. It's been a while since I've felt the time shift of summer.

Still, I've noticed that I have been staying up late and sleeping in more. My kids are sleeping in a bit (we’re making it to 7am some mornings!) which lets me sleep in (I'll take any excuse to sleep late) and then the late light of evening keeps me from turning in. During the winter and spring I was trying very hard to go to bed early. Every night I would go into a panic around 9 pm--fretting that I wasn't already asleep. Now, that feeling has relaxed a bit and eleven or twelve sneaks up on a still-awake me. That’s when I think, oh well, it’s summer.



Another sign of summer is this Kool-Aid Ice Art. This is a project my daughter did in school the other day. Then, while walking through the grocery store, she spied the kool-aid shelf and wanted to do it at home too. I appreciated the very little prep work required on my part. Tear open some kool-aid packs and get out some ice. The resulting colors are rather intense considering they come from something meant to be consumed by children. And the raspberry lemonade flavor stained our table. Nevertheless, it does seem like a nice, wholesome summer activity. Like sleeping “late” into a summer morning.

No comments: